Flood Hazard 

Work With Us
If you suspect your project might require a Flood Hazard Area (FHA) Permit, CPS can help you determine whether your proposed development is exempt from Flood Hazard Area Permitting, qualifies for a Flood Hazard Area Permit-by-Rule, or requires a Flood Hazard Area General Permit or Individual Permit.  We can assist you throughout the process of determining the limits of flood hazard areas and riparian zones, and securing a Flood Hazard Area Verification if needed.   
Flooding presents a significant risk to the public health, safety, and welfare due to loss of life, injury, and property damage.  Unless properly controlled, development within flood hazard areas obstructs and displaces floodwaters. This can increase the frequency, intensity, duration, and extent of flooding. Loss of life, injury, and property damage can also result from collapsed structures, unsecured materials and other debris carried by floodwaters. Structures built with a flood hazard area are subject to severe and repetitive flood damage, resulting in the displacement of residents and prolonged economic disruption or loss.  In order to help protect public safety and to minimize potential flood damage, the FHA rules contain stringent standards for construction in flood hazard areas.

Flood hazard areas include any land, and any space above that land, which lies below the flood hazard area design flood elevation (DFE), which is equal to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) 100-year floodplain in coastal areas and at least one foot higher than FEMA’s floodplain in fluvial (non-coastal) areas. Structures, fill, and vegetation that are situated on land that lies below the flood hazard area design flood elevation are described as being "in" or "within" the flood hazard area. 
  • Flood Hazard Areas are 1% chance flood areas, formerly known as 100-year flood zones, and include areas mapped as A Zones and V Zones.
  • Riparian zones include waterways and adjacent areas measuring 50 feet, 150 feet or 300 feet landward of the ordinary high water mark or mean high water line. If you’re working in these areas, chances are a Flood Hazard Area Permit is required.
CPS can help you with the following types of Flood Hazard Area approvals:

  • Flood Hazard Area Verifications;

  • Applicability Determinations;

  • Flood Hazard Area General Permits;

  • Flood Hazard Area Individual Permits.

How can we help you?

For more information on how CPS can help you meet your Flood Hazard requirements, contact:

Program Manager,
Water Quality Permitting Services